5/31/2013

CSA Week #4: How to Eeet Beets

It's Pesach in May!  Not one but TWO heads of romaine lettuce this week.  Not to harp too much on one thing but dudes, if you think checking romaine lettuce is hard, then you're a lettuce pansy.  Red leaf is darker and curlier.  Romaine is practically flat!  But it's all green and yummy.

You know how when you were taught to check strawberries for bugs (which, FTR, was not a thing that I heard of until I was at least bat mitzvah), you were told that if you cut off the top and there's a hole down the middle, you have to cut the berry in half?  It makes your chocolate-covered ones rather less attractive.  Well, with local-grown in-season berries, that won't be a a problem:
you hardly ever see that hole because the berries are actually ripe and fully grown.  I snarfed the entire quart within a day.

This week's haul:
  • Romaine lettuce (x2)
  • Red leaf lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Arugula
  • Golden beets
  • Asparagus
  • Tomatoes (3 big fat ones from the greenhouse)
  • A parsley plant
  • Strawberries!!!
*Note to CSA-ers: farm fresh berries are a bit more delicate (and a lot more tasty) than the shipped from California type.  Handle with care, preferably as soon as they arrive.*

There's some debate over hiding vegetables in other foods: advocates say its the best way to get reluctant eaters to consume healthy stuff: opponents say they need to learn to eat things straight out.  Me, I'm a shvil hazahav kind of gal, and say do it all.  Don't give up the carrot sticks entirely, that'll just set a bad precedent.  But if you find a way to cause your kid (or a reluctant adult for that matter) to ingest vegetation, then by all means, cause them to ingest it.  

Which brings me to the beets.  I'm not a beet eater.  I HATE chrain, I can't stand those pickled things people put in their shwarma, it's all bad.  But one of the best lessons I learned last summer was that there's a way to get people to consume just about anything.  It just takes a little creativity.  Thanks to Anni Daulter's Organic Family Cookbook, I discovered the joy of homemade beet chips - and then discovered that QE will eat ANYTHING if you call it a chip.

But the problem with the beet chips is that I tend to burn them.  I blame it on the internet.  So for the times that I get beets and don't have the wherewithal to chip-ify them, I discovered a dirty little secret: chocolate beet cupcakes.  You puree 'em and mix them into the batter and end up with super-moist magenta chocolate cake.  It's like red velvet without the 3 bottles of food coloring.  I've made both vegan and non-vegan recipes and confess that it's better with eggs, but still.  You'll be surprised.  QE came home from playgroup today and was happy to snarf one of the cupcakes I made.  Then she came running back into the kitchen after an episode of Curious George and snatched another one off the cooling rack.  I was so happy that she liked them that I almost let her have the second one.  

CSA Tip # 4: Feel free to sneak fruit or veg into anything you feel like sneaking them into.  Honestly, the sneakier the better.  Cackle quietly to yourself as you do it.

I know people eat beet greens but cooked dark green leafies of any kind are really not my thing - except, of course, in chip form.  So I attempted the green chip thing on this week's beet greens, to decent effect.  I got smart this time and lowered the oven temp to 300, and I put the pieces on parchment instead of foil.  It worked pretty well, and they taste good, with a bit more of a kick than kale or collards.  And hey, QE still ate 'em, which is really all that I care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment