5/20/2013

CSA Week 2: Saladocious

I've been boring lately, I know.  I'm just embarking on a new crunchy venture though, so there will be something more interesting in a few weeks.  I think.

Anyway, my second CSA arrived just hours before Shavuos, which meant I was frantically washing greens and putting things away and didn't have a chance to post.  And then I was just lazy all day Friday and didn't bother.  And then I was waiting to try something out but didn't get around to it yet.  This week was a pretty typical early-season box, with lots of yummy salad fixins.
  • Arugula
  • Spinach
  • Red leaf lettuce
  • Radishes
  • Asparagus
  • Chives
  • Scallions
  • Curly parsley
  • Basil plant
  • Farm fresh eggs! 
I confess that I discarded the curly parsley: I vastly prefer flat leaf and knew I didn't want to deal with checking it this time.  I probably should have made pesto or something, but whatever.  Don't hate me.  

But the arugula was worth the bother - I love the peppery taste, and that combined with the lettuce and spinach meant that we had the most amazing strawberry salad for lunch on the first day of yom tov - plus another loaded with radishes and scallions on Shabbos.  Plus there's still enough greens leftover for BSB's lunches until the next delivery comes.

I got to utilize my Flip and Tumble mesh produce bags for the first time, and so far so good.  I washed the greens and laid them out on dish towels to dry as much as possible.  Then I chucked the arugula and spinach into one bag and the lettuce in the other...and several days in the fridge later, its a bit limp but still good.  I put the leftover radishes and scallions into one and I think they'll do better; I'll probably stick with the paper-towel-and-ziploc method for greens in the future.

All this brings me to:

CSA Tip #2: Soak wilted leafy greens in cold water to revive them

My chapter's boxes gets dropped off on someone's porch for each CSA member to collect at their leisure.  After a couple of hours out in the summer sun things can get kind of floopy.  But in my lazy, neglectful way I've discovered that abandoning them in a bowl of wash water while I check Facebook lets capillary action do its thing, plumping them back up to crunchy goodness.

1 comment:

  1. Silly person, pesto pesto pesto!! Ask R' Cohen whether or not you need to really check stuff that is going to get pureed, as in pesto. There are kulos out there. I asked our rav about broccoli, since I make a killer pureed broccoli cheese soup, and he said all I need to do is a cursory check to see that it's not obviously infested.
    The eggs-how were they? Did they have blood spots?

    ReplyDelete