3/11/2013

Are frum people less crunchy?

In my opening post I mentioned a few scenarios that frum crunchy folks may have experienced, times when you felt like your crunchy tendencies removed you from the chevra. I kind of dislike talking about cloth diapering because it gets annoying to have to justify it to people who think I'm either insane or just gross. Have you ever actually been sneered at for being the weird hippie? Do people ever act as if caring about the environment makes you more "modern" or less frum? And why is that?

For an awful lot of the Orthodox population, these issues are just not on the radar. People have a lot of kids and their husbands work 3 jobs/learn at night/think dishes are women's work, so they use paper plates ALL the time. If the local kosher supermarket sells anything organic or grassfed or otherwise eco-friendly it's it's way expensive compared to the regular cutlets in the next case. Healthy snacks and lunches are a no-go because people think their kids only want to eat what the other kids are eating.
I spend a lot of time online, I've seen these attitudes come out in conversation even when I haven't experienced them directly in my own life.

I see a few factors at play.
  • There's a tendency in large Jewish communities to strive towards a pointless uniformity. People are obsessed with fitting in, with meeting certain standards whether or not they agree with them, or if the standards even make sense.
  • There's an obsession with convenience, which is understandable to some degree, but also lends itself to careless decision-making.
  • There's also a lack of education. People aren't aware that there are even choices to be made, or that what seems impractical may actually be easier or save money (or be healthier) in the long run. Frum-brand "healthy" food seems to mean diet rather than "natural" or "unprocessed." How many people do you know who think diet Coke and iceberg lettuce are a good meal?
I'm a librarian, which means I have a research reflex. Poking around for baby gear online led me towards finding out about products and issues I'd never really thought about, and then making decisions I never even knew were make-able. But if there's anything I've learned since starting library school, it's that people rarely realize how little information they're actually working with. And for reasons both good and bad, they often choose to ignore certain issues in favor of others.

So if you quietly buy the organic eggs at Costco, are you some kind of iconoclast? Will your kids be non-shidduch-worthy? Probably not. I'm the only one at my shul who wears her baby (although I have a crunchy friend who just gave birth...), and people think my Pikkolo is cool, even if they don't seem all that interested in getting one of their own. There's a growing group who subscribe to my local CSA, and it's fun to meet those families and swap recipes and bug-check stories. I'm not sure about going into crunchy-kiruv though. Do you think living by example is enough?

2 comments:

  1. Aviva, you are awesome and I love reading your blog posts! Keep them coming! (Dina)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one also - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete